Thursday, May 10, 2007

This was Jordan's second full day with us and we've shared a few new experiences including:

Jordan after her first bath with us.A bath to wash away the stinky shelter life. It wasn't the greatest job but it helped. She's still damp in this picture. Her nails are getting a bit long too, so I think I may buck the country dog thing and take her to the groomers for a proper bath and nail clip. I want her registered and vet checked before we go.

A dog and her frizbee in a green fieldYesterday, I introduced her to a frisbee and it's her new favourite thing. I had to wait until Grant was home today to get some shots of her with it. I like this action shot. There is a guy on youtube that does training videos for disk dog. I'm going to watch a few more of them. I wish the bugs weren't so bad! They are making an itchy mess of her poor bare belly and "I've-had-babies" teats. I think the coating of vaseline I put on before she goes on walks is helping a bit.

In her crate by day twoWe also manage to introduce her to her crate successfully enough that she will actually choose to sleep in it. We have not yet closed the door to contain her. We've been using the spare room for nights, until I can trust her free in the house. The crate will still be needed once we start in dog sports.

At the end of her tether but very acceptingHer house manners seem really good so far. Yesterday, she spent the day with the end of her leash on my belt, so I could give her corrections as soon as she stepped out of bounds. Such things like too much interest in the cats or the garbage can. I tested her this morning after our walk without the leash in the house and so far she has passed muster. We have also had her off leash in our fenced (well mostly since our east fence is in very bad shape) yard under supervision. I still tie her when I have to duck into the chicken coop. The black flies and mosquitoes are so bad right now that we only go out to check on the chickens, play frisbee, or go for walks.

Crazy eyes each has both brown and ice blueHere is a close-up of her crazy eyes. I can't understand why this dog was left tied in front of the SPCA.

No comments: