Monday, May 01, 2006

More chicken coop progress.

But not enough!

Sunday was a "good progress" day. I started working on the chicken coop at about 10:30. I put screening in over the windows and then installed the windows on hinges. I tried to put insulation in the ceiling, but that's a two-person job. So I started building the door. I also drilled a hole for the extension cord, for the lights/heat lamp.

We're getting there! A couple more evenings and we'll be done! Laura and I finished putting the insulation in the roof and put the vapour barrier up. Then we started putting up the sheeting inside, until it got so dark that we couldn't see to nail anymore. ;-)

I took some pictures but they're still in the camera. I'll put them up in a day or so.

Tonight is the first game of the Nortel Golf League! I'm very excited, but in a way I wish it didn't start till next week. I want to finish the coop as fast as possible because Laura wants to get Elvis and Priscilla out of the neighbour's coop/horse stall, and I want to get the chick brooder out of the spare room (they're really starting to stink).

I think it'll be a couple of days and then we'll be able to get the chickens in their new home. What's left to do:

  • finish the interior sheeting,

  • build the door and chicken ramps,

  • then hang the brooder boxes and a few roosts, and finally

  • put up the fencing.



Once that's all done, we should be able to bring over Elvis and Priscilla, and hopefully put the brooder out there as well.

The chicks are getting bigger and the spend less time huddled under the heat lamp now. We picked up another small batch of 6 chicks on Friday. They're various types. I'll leave the description of the chicks for Laura in another post.

Grant

No comments: