Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Yoghurt Making

I haven't made yoghurt for many years but last month I became really annoyed looking at all the containers in the recycle bin. Since we added yoghurt to our daily diet the soya milk cartons, soya yoghurt containers, and cow yoghurt containers started to add up at an alarming rate. So I did a bit research and found Bryanna Grogan's site on soya yoghurt making and haven't turned back. There are still the plastic bags off the soya beans and the cartons from the cow's milk but it has significantly reduced the packaging. Once we move I hope to buy milk in returnable containers and local soya beans in bulk until I'm able to grow my own.

The soya bean to yoghurt process isn't hard but it is a bit time consuming. This is some of the finished product the whiter stuff on the left is cow and the creamier coloured one on right is soya. This is also most of the basic equipment for making the soya yoghurt. But I have a soya milk maker in the mail! That will automate some of the process.

No comments: