Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ebikes are fun!

Yeah, I know it's been a long time since we posted to the blog. Sorry about that. Now that spring is (finally) here, it's time to dust off the old blog and add some sustainable-living, eco-minded content.

Lately I've been obsessed with electric-assist bikes. My plan has been to upgrade my Raleigh mountain bike by turning it into a commuting hybrid-style bike, with an assistance motor. The motor and battery are a BionX PL-350, sold and installed by a great guy, Juergen Weichert at Acclivity Solutions.

Today is a very happy day for me -- I rode to work for the first time on my electric-assist bike! I got 30 minutes of exercise, covering a route from Stittsville to the Oracle Kanata office.

The weather was excellent. The carefully-selected route minimized the amount of time I have to spend in heavy traffic, and was relatively efficient. It was nice to be out in the springtime air.

As I was pedaling along, I saw another cyclist (and he looked like he knew what he was doing), so I followed him. Good thing I did -- he showed me a better route for part of my journey. It was through a nice quiet sub-division, and away from the very busy main road I as expecting to take.

I feel great! I've always had a hard time convincing myself to get exercise for exercise's sake, so this is a great option. I can get exercise as part of my daily commute to work.

The plan is to increase the length of my route once I get strong enough, but I don't want to push it too hard at first. Laura will be the first one to say that I have a real tendency to overdo my exercise at first. ;-)

I'll post a few pics of the bike once I get it cleaned up (I got it very muddy riding around in the rain the last few days).

Cheers,
Grant

No comments: